Wednesday 11 November 2009

Interview: GrownSexyFunkyFresh with... Amy Serrata




Amy Serrata started singing lessons at the age warm age of 10 years old while she attended Nido De Aguilas, an international school in Santiago, Chile. As she got older she sung in several gospel choirs and through experience continued to develop her vocal improvisational skills. Through her college years she studied Illustration with an emphasis in Fine Arts, but the Singer / Songwriter found her true art in the music now creates, intended to heal the soul and bring people back together.

Too Sexy For Radio caught up with Amy Serrata to find out what’s GrownSexyFunkyFresh in her world…


Grown
I have been writing poetry and singing for a long time. But during the process of leaving behind my childhood, and becoming a woman I have found that poetry has added depth and richness to my song writing. Since I was a little girl I knew I wanted to sing, and as time goes on its the small things that hav reaffirmed that I was meant to walk this path. I am looking forward to growing, learning, expanding and becoming the best singer songwriter that I can possibly be. And frankly, with growth comes with the passing of time and exudes sexiness and confidence!


Sexy
From the way you dress, to the way you carry yourself; it all adds up to 'Sex Appeal'. As a performer it is essential to feel sexy, so that when you get up on that stage you can 'Do Ya Thang!'. I truly think that the audience can always feel that vigour, because as a performer you give off energy and that’s what the crowd feeds on... My Sexiness, in the form of energy of course! I tend to feel my sexiest when I am in an outfit that brings me confidence, that is a true symbol of me expressing my own individuality, which is a zone that I feel most comfortable in. Every time I get up on to the stage I re-create who I am and what I am going to express to my audience. The ability to be able to morph into many different characters and transform, and pulling it off each time I’ve been told is oh so sexy! I like to be seen as keeping the people I perform too on their toes!


Funky
My music is a mix of many different genres. And when I think about the word funky, eclectic immediately comes to mind. My style is a mix of Soul, Nu Jazz and Hip Hop. And it’s varied style separates me from others out there because I have been able to create my own sound. Some of the great artists that have influenced my sound are Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Fiona Apple, Bjork, Common, Q-Tip, The Roots, De La Soul and many many more. But as well as the greats I’ve made sure that I listen to a wide range of music which probably explains why my music it self is so funky.


Fresh
When writing music I keep an active ear to the ground as to what is currently going on in the industry, but also having a keen awareness as to what has been done, and worked, in the past. With that, I keep in mind of how the past has influenced the future and has made what we know as music today. Keeping things fresh and new is essential to being successful in the music business. If you do not change with the times and evolve as a musician you can become extremely stagnant. At the same time, I don't think it is right to be just another carbon copy of what someone else is doing in their music. I keep an eye on what others are creating because if I love what they are up to it can be an opportunity to collaborate and create something new and fresh. I have had the privilege of sharing the stage with a variety of different artists! And as the word has gotten out about me and my music I am finding some amazing and talented people that are wanting to work with me. I look forward to growing and evolving in my singing and song writing so that my music will remain 'fresh.'
http://toosexy4radio.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yo! Too Sexy 4 Radio...

Related Posts with Thumbnails